What is a minimony? The latest wedding trend popularised by celebs all over the world
The process of planning weddings in Gibraltar brings a lot of factors that need to be carefully considered – and options for what such a special day could and should look and feel like.
From luxurious ceremonies onboard the Sunborn Hotel yacht to minimonies at Gibraltar’s Registry Office, we’ve done it all down the years here at Sweet Gibraltar Weddings, as far as weddings in Gibraltar are concerned! There are just so many opportunities and options, and we’re seasoned in helping couples to narrow down those options to the ones that suit them best.
But let’s zoom in a little on that word, “minimony”. What even is one? To help you in your decision-making, our experts have put together a quick guide to minimony weddings in Gibraltar.
Minimonies vs micro weddings
During the COVID-19 pandemic and its many restrictions, both minimonies and micro weddings have become extremely popular as alternatives to a traditional blow-out wedding. But what is the difference between the two?
A minimony is a small, intimate wedding ceremony, focussing on the commitment between a bride or groom and their partner. This mini ceremony is attended by a limited number of the couple’s closest loved ones, and might be followed by a full-scale wedding celebration party, or a sequel wedding.
On the other hand, a micro wedding is simply a smaller version of a wedding. Although both micro weddings and minimonies can be an excellent choice for weddings in Gibraltar, celebrities have gotten minimonies trending across the globe.
Minimonies have been popularised over the past year due to coronavirus restrictions and the desire many stars have had to enjoy a private, intimate ceremony away from the press. Here are our favourite three celebrity minimonies for inspiration.
- Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez – One of the most recent minimonies to grace our newsfeeds, Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez tied the knot in an intimate ceremony at Grande’s home in Montecito, California in May 2021.
- Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi – Minimonies have proven to be suitable for even the Royal Family, with Princess Beatrice’s wedding taking place at the Royal Chapel of All Saints in Windsor back in July 2020.
- Lily Allen and David Harbour – In September of 2020, Lily Allen married her Stranger Things actor husband in Las Vegas, with only her two daughters present as wedding guests.
Whether you get married at home like Ariana Grande, in your local chapel like Princess Beatrice, or opt for a destination wedding like Lily Allen, a minimony is a fantastic on-trend idea for 2021 weddings. But of course, we reckon you should hold yours on the backdrop of the sensational sun and stunning scenery of Gibraltar!
Wedding ideas for minimony weddings in Gibraltar in 2021
Here are some top tips from our experts at Sweet Gibraltar Weddings for planning minimony weddings in Gibraltar.
- Choose the location of your minimony wisely, selecting a gorgeous and meaningful setting for your intimate ceremony.
- Remember that you don’t have to stick to traditional wedding attire – the princess dress can be saved for your later celebration.
- Hire a celebrant that you know, perhaps a family member or friend, for another intimate and personal touch.
- Celebrate your love and commitment by writing your own wedding vows to each other.
- Embrace the ‘mini’ by getting a small version of your wedding cake for all of your minimony guests to enjoy.
Finally, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Sweet Gibraltar Weddings team today for expert help and advice from professional wedding planners. We will help ensure that, even if your wedding is small, there is no compromise as far as its quality is concerned, as well as with regard to the joyous celebration of your commitment.