Latest Blog

How can I arrange a registry office wedding in Gibraltar?


If you want to get married in Gibraltar, it’s important that you learn about what you’ll need to do to get the ball rolling. In this article, we’ll go over what you need to do to arrange a registry office wedding in Gibraltar.

Give one week’s notice to the Registrar

At least one of the parties to the marriage must at least one week before the intended date of marriage give notice in writing to the Registrar at the registry office. If you have a ceremony booked at our registry office, we will provide you with all the necessary information regarding this requirement.

You can give notice in person or by post; if you choose to do so by post, please send it by Recorded Delivery and enclose a copy of your passport/ID card (if available).

Follow the Marriage Act regulations

The marriage laws in Gibraltar are regulated by The Marriage Act of 1872, and they require that couples who wish to get married in Gibraltar must have been resident there for at least seven days before giving notice of their intention.

Both parties to the marriage, or one party and a proxy, must appear before the registrar to give notice

The marriage notice must be given to the registrar personally or by a proxy. You can give notice in person at any Registry Office during office hours. If you wish to give notice by proxy, this must be done through a solicitor who will complete the necessary form with you and present it at their local Registry Office on your behalf. The Registrar will then issue a certificate of non-theological marriage which states that both parties have given proper notice of their intention to marry and states where they intend to be married (in Gibraltar).


If you are looking to get married in Gibraltar, it is important that you understand the legal requirements before taking the next steps. It is also important that you know your rights and obligations under The Marriage Act of 1872 as this will affect how quickly your marriage can take place after giving notice at the registry office.